2015 Kish Trip

Camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, skiing, skateboarding, surfing, etc...
David
#4 Son

2015 Kish Trip

Post by David »

This was Lauras first canoe trip to kish and her first canoe trip ever. So it was on faith that we got her to go. Also i told here there were no bugs and only one portage. I heard a little about the 4 portages the first day.

Jon, Carrie, Michaela, Laura and I traveled to Nestor Falls from Salt Lake City and Carmel. Michaela flew to Carmel on Tuesday and had a chance to catch up with Jordan and Andy before the drive. Michaela Carrie and Jon took off Thursday morning to Wisconsin and stopped for a 2 day visit with Deb and Russ. They had lunch at Charlies place. I am looking forward to seeing a few pics and hearing more about that leg of their trip.

Laura and I left SLC on Saturday for Minni-St.Paul where we picked up a rental car and started our drive to Nestor Falls. Jons truck pulled in at the Cabin on Sunday afternoon and we had the classic ham dinner with salad and Labatts. Delicious as always.

Light rain and a little tail wind got us on our way Monday morning. Portage after Portage and one more portage and we were at Kish, setting up on Babcock Island. We did a little fishing from the shore and caught and threw back a dozen rock bass. Canoe trips around the lake finding a few new spots to catch fish.

Back to Nestor Falls on Thursday and on the road toward home on Friday. It was a short trip but great fun and just right to get Laura to say she'll come back and do it again .
Attachments
fishing off Dave new doc - Nice job!
fishing off Dave new doc - Nice job!
Dave and Jon
Dave and Jon
toads
toads
beetles
beetles
snakes
snakes
fish
fish
the red boat crew
the red boat crew
this years voyageurs
this years voyageurs
laura relaxes
laura relaxes
rusty

Re: 2015 Kish Trip

Post by rusty »

Wow, looks like an awesome trip! Nice picture of that ground dwelling mosquito. Pretty good looking fish too!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Carrie, Michaela and I left from Indy with the plan of stopping in Shiocton to visit Russ and Deb. We arrived late after a pretty uneventful drive through Chicago and up the Lake Michigan shore. The next day Deb had to work a half day so Russ took Carrie and I on a local garden tour where we picked fruits and veges for the weekend while the owners were away. We also had a chance to get a tour of Curtis' company, Dirty Jigs Tackle. It's a very impressive operation. I also was able to get some pro advice on set-ups to use in Canada and after pouring some custom jig-heads and setting me up with some killer tube jigs I was definitely set to nail the smallmouth. Deb's garden was awesome too.
Russ Deb and Curtis in their back yard
Russ Deb and Curtis in their back yard
Jig room in the Demeraths basement
Jig room in the Demeraths basement
the finished product
the finished product
Michaela with one of Deb's flowers
Michaela with one of Deb's flowers
Russ and Carrie next to the Raspberries
Russ and Carrie next to the Raspberries
Jon

Post by Jon »

Before leaving Shiocton we were able to eat lunch at Charlie's Drive Inn (which is really now Carl and Rachel's drive-in). Great food and it was great to see Rachel. Friday afternoon we made our way to Russ and Deb's Cabin in north-central Wisconsin where we planned to stay Friday and Saturday.
Their cabin is located in a beautiful area near a couple small lakes. We spent our time hunting mushrooms and found some really nice chanterelles but it had been pretty dry. We did find a nice bunch of what looked like Pleurotis but it was not the usual species and so we passed on them. We also rode bikes and checked out a log home that was being raised nearby. Deb fed us really well (pancakes, pot roast) and we were able to construct some crepes topped with raspberry sauce from the berries we picked around the cabin and around Shiocton.
Michaela with Pleurotis
Michaela with Pleurotis
Deb was too quick for the photographer
Deb was too quick for the photographer
Our crepes for dessert
Our crepes for dessert
Rachel and Carl's root beer stand- Charlie's
Rachel and Carl's root beer stand- Charlie's
A friend in the area had a new burro -1 day old
A friend in the area had a new burro -1 day old
Jon

Post by Jon »

Crossing the beaver, Dam!
Crossing the beaver, Dam!
Here are some pics from the trip this year.
Attachments
Crazy first night in camp
Crazy first night in camp
Some of the Bass that made our dinner
Some of the Bass that made our dinner
Musky shot. Marl Lake
Musky shot. Marl Lake
Dave and Laura down the lake day trip.
Dave and Laura down the lake day trip.
Babcock Island
Babcock Island
Eldest sister doing some tatting or something
Eldest sister doing some tatting or something
Noteven a single mosquito bite
Noteven a single mosquito bite
Jon

Post by Jon »

Here are a few more images
Attachments
Sisters sharing a brother joke
Sisters sharing a brother joke
Canada 2015 Laura Dave Michaela.JPG
GOPR0021.JPG
emmy

Post by emmy »

what an awesome trip guys! looks like you had a blast! totaly wish i was there! next year maybe????????
eppm