Colorado Elk Hunt

Camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, skiing, skateboarding, surfing, etc...
Jon

Colorado Elk Hunt

Post by Jon »

Here are a couple of elk shots from the trip to Colorado this past November. I flew into SLC and drove to NW Colorado and hooked up with three friends from CA. We hunted about 4 days and saw elk every day. We filled all of our tags and everyone went home with plenty of meat for the freezer. Weather was really good. Cold and snowy a couple of days and bluebird weather the rest of the time. We stayed in town about 30 minutes from where we hunted. One of the guys is also a big spear fisherman so we ate well. I think my mercury levels spike a bit as a result but it was worth it.
Attachments
Our trip was self guided and so we had to figure out the details like 'how do you get 5 elk to your truck?' Rent a horse to the rescue. This was a sweet horse. Packed all day and never worked up a sweat.
Our trip was self guided and so we had to figure out the details like 'how do you get 5 elk to your truck?' Rent a horse to the rescue. This was a sweet horse. Packed all day and never worked up a sweat.
This is a shot of the bull elk that I got. My friend Dave from Santa Rosa is with me in this picture and was a huge help getting it ready to take to the truck.
This is a shot of the bull elk that I got. My friend Dave from Santa Rosa is with me in this picture and was a huge help getting it ready to take to the truck.
Most of our tags were for cow elk and this is one that I got the first day.  The country is high but not really steep. Lots of oak brush and aspen thickets.  The snow made for good hunting and nice views.
Most of our tags were for cow elk and this is one that I got the first day. The country is high but not really steep. Lots of oak brush and aspen thickets. The snow made for good hunting and nice views.
Michael
#6 Son

Post by Michael »

:cyclopsani: Nice bull. Those things are huge.

On the flight back from Indy I switched seats with a guy so he could sit by his kid. He was eating jerky and the stewardess asked him if it was elk jerky. I thought it might have been some kind of homeland security reference to the big bag of meat in my luggage.
MM \m/ike MM
Random Wikipedia Link

Jason
#5 Son

Post by Jason »

On my trip back, I was transporting a bit of various animal meat from Jons for Chris and Ada. I had packed a cooler to the maximum, and then added a few extra pounds to see what would happen, figuring at worst that I could put a few packs in my carry on. I weighed in in the airport, and found that I was 15 pounds over, so I put 15 pounds of meat in my carry on.

I kept thinking that I would look over at the overhead bin and see meat juice dripping onto the passengers. I arrived home without incident. Only partial thawing of one package had occurred, and I prepared it for breakfast.
Jason
#5 Son

Post by Jason »

On my trip back, I was transporting a bit of various animal meat from Jons for Chris and Ada. I had packed a cooler to the maximum, and then added a few extra pounds to see what would happen, figuring at worst that I could put a few packs in my carry on. I weighed in in the airport, and found that I was 15 pounds over, so I put 15 pounds of meat in my carry on.

I kept thinking that I would look over at the overhead bin and see meat juice dripping onto the passengers. I arrived home without incident. Only partial thawing of one package had occurred, and I prepared it for breakfast.
rusty

flying with frozen meat

Post by rusty »

It seems like everyone has one of these stories. Mine is when I was flying back from a field trip with a5kg bag of frozen fish. As i swung it up into the overhead locker i didn't realise a stewardess was passing behind me and it hit her in the nose. Service wasn't so good on that trip.......