Working at UC Irvine

General news and information
Katie

Working at UC Irvine

Post by Katie »

I got a job with UCI and have been working in the Environmental Planning and Sustainability department for a few months now. I mainly work doing communications/outreach and special projects. Everything from implementing sustainability programs campus wide to organizing beetle symposiums.

Here's more on the beetle: The polyphagous shot hole borer made its way from Taiwan to parts of southern California over the last few years (first in 2003). UCI and other areas in southern California have seen the beetle attack and host what seems to be a growing number of species. Avocado along with a few other industries could really suffer. Right now its really only Australian species that seem resistant to attacks! Hundreds of trees are being cut down on campus because they're dying from the fungus that the beetle brings with it. We're researching pesticides or fungicides but there aren't any clear outcomes yet. They are even working on biocontrol options in Taiwan, scary! I organized a symposium hosted by UCI recently to try and raise awareness with key stakeholders, city government, other large land owners, universities etc. No one is stepping forward to take it on. Got any ideas Jon? Here is a news article from UCI. http://news.uci.edu/press-releases/regi ... uci-trees/

I'm really enjoying the projects I get to work on, there's lots of good stuff going on in the way of sustainability at the UC's. We have a 2025 carbon neutrality plan so there are tonnes of initiatives being put in place. I'll keep you posted on what happens with the beetle.

Katie