Belgium and Germany

Where are my people at?

Grampa & Gramma

Belgium and Germany

Post by Grampa & Gramma »

We flew from Dublin to Brussels after seeing Jean safely on her way back home. We stayed with Philippe and family in Lovain La Nueve, where they have lived "forever!" It is a new (20 years old) French-speaking University town, and very modern. We spent two days on a trip to western Germany, to visit towns where Judy's Derhake, Kerkering, and Edeler ancestors lived before emigrating in the mid-1800's. The Sunday after we returned we spent the day touring downtown Brussels with the extended family Lambrecht. Pictures to follow!
Attachments
The family Lambrecht:  Francoise, Phillipe, Denis (14), and Olivier (17), with Marine (8, I think!) with Boudin, the chat.
The family Lambrecht: Francoise, Phillipe, Denis (14), and Olivier (17), with Marine (8, I think!) with Boudin, the chat.
Philippe lives a short block above the central lake at LLN, and the town center is at the far end.
Philippe lives a short block above the central lake at LLN, and the town center is at the far end.
The back of Philippe's house, and his garden.
The back of Philippe's house, and his garden.
Russ & Judy
Grampa & Gramma

Re: Belgium and Germany

Ammeloe, west of Ahaus, was the home of Bernard Derhake (b. 1831) and his father, Johann (b, 1789). They were in the axel grease business there. Judy's great grandfather, the second son of Bernard, settled in St. Louis and began an axle grease business there. It was exciting to walk the same roads they walked and visit the church they attended.
Attachments
The town sign.  It is a very small town, probably less than 1000 inhbitants.
The town sign. It is a very small town, probably less than 1000 inhbitants.
The Church of St. Antonius (built 14th century) is central to a circle of shops and houses, and it appears all have had some post WWII renovation.  An old man was at the church and gave us a tour - lots of 17th and18th century "things" inside.
The Church of St. Antonius (built 14th century) is central to a circle of shops and houses, and it appears all have had some post WWII renovation. An old man was at the church and gave us a tour - lots of 17th and18th century "things" inside.
This looks like an old stable on the square at Ammaloe, and probably was a place the Derhakes did business.
This looks like an old stable on the square at Ammaloe, and probably was a place the Derhakes did business.
Russ & Judy
Grampa & Gramma

We visited Holtwick and Coesfeld, south of Ahaus, where Judy's Kerkering ancestors came from. The church at Holtwick was similar to the one at Ammeloe, built in a kind of central square with houses and shops around. Coesfeld is a much larger town, with a larger church. We found Kerkerings and Edelers in the phone books, but no Derhakes. Herman John Kerkering (b.1792 in Holtwick) was Judy's Great great grandfather.
Attachments
The inside of the Holtwich church of St. Nicholas.  Obviously renovated post war.  The Ammeloe church looked much the same inside.
The inside of the Holtwich church of St. Nicholas. Obviously renovated post war. The Ammeloe church looked much the same inside.
The history of the churches is always on a plaque near the door.  This is the church at Coesfeld.
The history of the churches is always on a plaque near the door. This is the church at Coesfeld.
There are lots of power generating windmills in this part of Germany.  The buildins are all brick - we saw no wooden homes or farms.  The country is very flat, much like northern Illinois.
There are lots of power generating windmills in this part of Germany. The buildins are all brick - we saw no wooden homes or farms. The country is very flat, much like northern Illinois.
Russ & Judy
Grampa & Gramma

I need to correct myself!! The two church pictures above are of the Ammeloe and Holtwick churches. I'll skip the Coesfeld plaque!

We spen Sunday with Philippe's family in Brussels, at the park, looking at the cathedrals, and eating lunch:

When you visit us, you can see all 300 pictures!
Next up, our June camping trip!
Attachments
Next to Philippe is Francoise's mother, and in front of me is her sister Catherine, and the two girls in front of Philippe are hers.  The other girl is Marine's friend.
Next to Philippe is Francoise's mother, and in front of me is her sister Catherine, and the two girls in front of Philippe are hers. The other girl is Marine's friend.
Philippe took us to a classic 1920's resturant where we could get an authentic Belgian lunch.
Philippe took us to a classic 1920's resturant where we could get an authentic Belgian lunch.
No tour would be complete without a visit to the peeing boy!  There is a book available with him in all his various outfits - this one is of a local soccer team!  Nor could we miss the hot waffles!
No tour would be complete without a visit to the peeing boy! There is a book available with him in all his various outfits - this one is of a local soccer team! Nor could we miss the hot waffles!
Russ & Judy