Now i call this working!

From computers to Clovis
rusty

Now i call this working!

Post by rusty »

One of my projects at Ningaloo is to use an array of listening stations and acoustic pinger tags to track fish around the reef and see how much territory they use, changes in habitat that occur in different seasons (spawning etc). We hope this is going to tell us more about the way fish use the reef and what parts are important for them and why. This in turn will hopefully help managers design better more effective marine parks. So we have to catch and tag the fish as part of this, which can be pretty tedious; fishing, day after day after day.....
Attachments
This is one of the species we are targetting, its a coronation trout, lives mainly on the wave-exposed reef front
This is one of the species we are targetting, its a coronation trout, lives mainly on the wave-exposed reef front
These trevally have turned out to be really interesting.  They are pelagic, but surprisingly seem to stick around the same bit of reef, just going up and down a stretch and in and out of a couple of reef passes.
These trevally have turned out to be really interesting. They are pelagic, but surprisingly seem to stick around the same bit of reef, just going up and down a stretch and in and out of a couple of reef passes.
These tags last for 12-18 months and have a coded acousting ping that lets us know which fish is where. this one is going into a spangled emperor, one of the main species caught on the reef.  One of the Spangled Emperor we tagged in November last year was caught by someone in May, very close to where we tagged it, in a protected area.  Amazingly they returned the tag!
These tags last for 12-18 months and have a coded acousting ping that lets us know which fish is where. this one is going into a spangled emperor, one of the main species caught on the reef. One of the Spangled Emperor we tagged in November last year was caught by someone in May, very close to where we tagged it, in a protected area. Amazingly they returned the tag!
We were also tagging sharks, here I am trying to stop a black tip reef shark from getting into the coral.  Sight fishing for reef sharks could become quite a popular sport.....
We were also tagging sharks, here I am trying to stop a black tip reef shark from getting into the coral. Sight fishing for reef sharks could become quite a popular sport.....
Here is the shark, on its way home.  This species seems to move a lot up and down the reef, but possibly this is due to the majority of the sharks being tagged in "nursery" areas.  This one was not in a nursery so it will be interesting to see whether such sharks also move long distances from the point of capture.
Here is the shark, on its way home. This species seems to move a lot up and down the reef, but possibly this is due to the majority of the sharks being tagged in "nursery" areas. This one was not in a nursery so it will be interesting to see whether such sharks also move long distances from the point of capture.
Michael
#6 Son

Re: Now i call this working!

Post by Michael »

Chris was telling me about these microchip they are putting in the trout to track em on the river. They are similar to the chips they put in pets or in James Bond.
MM \m/ike MM
Random Wikipedia Link

Chris
#2 Son

Post by Chris »

Russ, nice fish and great project. Our partners need to deploy detector antennae arrays (swim through) thoughout the river to monitor their tagged fish (they put a tag starting at 55mm)

A couple of questions: what kind of dry fly are you using to hook the black-tipped reef sharks? Or is it a caddis nymph? The reason I ask is that Ada and I are trying to set up an exchange in January with the TNC outpost on Palmyra, and I need to know salt water techniques. Can you come up and guide us?

I caught a 16-18" rainbow last night on a salmonfly pattern, and let it go too.

C
judith

Post by judith »

Russ,
Thanks for the info of what you're doing at Ningaloo! I really need a science lesson about this and I'm sure I'm not alone. Can't imagine fishing all the day and catching too. M0M Mom