Canoe Trip

Camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, skiing, skateboarding, surfing, etc...
Jon

Canoe Trip

Post by Jon »

Andy, Carrie and I camped in Canada last week near Dave and Pat's place at Nestor Falls. We made a canoe trip from Big Pine Lake up the Sabaskong river to Wigwam Lake and then further up river to Lake Kishkatina. Had a bit of weather on and off throughout the trip but nothing too serious. Just enough for a few good stories down the road. We trolled for dinner at Wigwam and Carrie landed this nice Muskie from the canoe with Andy and I serving as trolling motors. Hardest part was getting it into the boat and resting peacefully without a net. Pretty cool to see one of these launch out of the water on the end of the line. Next day we were at Kish and Andy and I caught smallmouth for dinner. Each day was about 3-5 hours of canoe time. Not many portages and all were very short. We spent a few days with Dave and Pat and were able to procure a nice meal of walleye one day.
Attachments
Camp at Lake Kishkatina
Camp at Lake Kishkatina
Carrie's Muskie from Wigwam Lake
Carrie's Muskie from Wigwam Lake
Uncle Dave's multi-purpose shore lunch center
Uncle Dave's multi-purpose shore lunch center
Aunt Pat and Carrie working on walleyes for dinner.
Aunt Pat and Carrie working on walleyes for dinner.
Fixing walleye for dinner
Fixing walleye for dinner
rusty

Re: Canoe Trip

Post by rusty »

Looks Like a fantastic trip, must have been a lot of fun. with that much paddling I hope you brought the deep heat rub along1 What kind of lure did you get that Muskie on? Dave and Pat are looking great
judith

Post by judith »

Judy and I went on a canoe trip in 1960 to Ima Lake in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. It was 5 portages in. We went with Jim and Arlene Mancuso. We were living in Aurora, Minnesota, then, working for Bear Creek. The weather was good but there were lots of bugs and leaches in the water! We took two square stern canoes with 3.5 horse outboards. It took us most of the day to get in. Fishing was good - lots of walleyes. Lots of fun!
Our tent was the two-man Canadian Army surplus pup tent that Uncle Dave gave us as a wedding present!
Attachments
One guy carried the canoe, the other (Jim!) the motor, plus our packs!
One guy carried the canoe, the other (Jim!) the motor, plus our packs!
Arlene and Judy waiting for our second load at the end of the portage.  Head scarf was to keep bugs off.  The mossies were huge!
Arlene and Judy waiting for our second load at the end of the portage. Head scarf was to keep bugs off. The mossies were huge!
Cruising along on Gabbro Lake
Cruising along on Gabbro Lake
This is our camp on "Conception Island" in Lake Ima, Jon!
This is our camp on "Conception Island" in Lake Ima, Jon!
Michael
#6 Son

Post by Michael »

Looks like a great trip! I had one of those shirts when I was Andy's age!

MM \m/ike MM
Random Wikipedia Link

Jon

Post by Jon »

I love looking at the maps for this area and have seen Ima lake. I've got to get there on one of these trips. So many lakes and so little time!