Queensland Floods

General news and information
David
#4 Son

Queensland Floods

Post by David »

incredible flood. where is the impact going to be in Brisbane?

found this link to the flood maps. keep dry and keep in touch.

http://images.brisbanetimes.com.au/file ... rthern.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/tides ... 18yz6.html
Michael
#6 Son

Re: Queensland Floods

Post by Michael »

These floods happen every 37 years or so in those parts. Wonder how it is imapcting C&A's trip? :smurf: :smurfin:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environ ... 16gf0.html
MM \m/ike MM
Random Wikipedia Link

rusty

Post by rusty »

We haven't really been flooded down in Brisbane but it has been very wet, especially around Christmas. I think we had around 8 inches of rain altogether in that week around Christmas-New Year. The total for December was over 400mm, which is more than 16 inches, but it drains a lot better around Brisbane than further north. The rain did restrict our activities quite a bit, and we did a lot of video watching and scrabble playing. Chris and Ada decided not to go north, the main highway is cut at Rockhampton, and was also cut at Bundaberg at one point. The highway will be out for at least another 10 days. An image attached shows the extent of the inland sea created in the fitzroy river basin; it will take a while to drain out. Its a 1km pixel MODIS image. Chris and Ada have gone down south to northern New South Wales and will be back on Saturday. I think the weather is marginally better down there.....Anyway, considering that the wet season hasnt really started yet (wettest month on average is February) we are still a good chance to get some more major rain. We could get a 8 inches over night if it really wanted to rain.
Attachments
For some reason there seems to be less cloud over the floodwaters, i guess it must be some kind of convective phenomenon.  Rockhampton and the Fitzroy River mouth is more or less in the middle of the picture, 3rd Jan 2011
For some reason there seems to be less cloud over the floodwaters, i guess it must be some kind of convective phenomenon. Rockhampton and the Fitzroy River mouth is more or less in the middle of the picture, 3rd Jan 2011
FAS_NEAustralia1.2011003.terra.1km.jpg (277.2 KiB) Viewed 3560 times
rusty

Post by rusty »

Got 11 inches night before last at Maleny near Buderim, it didnt rain quite so much last night. If not for the dam they built after the 1974 flood, Brisbane would be underwater again right now.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Update on the flood situation. Despite the dam it looks like the Brisbane River will flood at a higher level than 1974, peaking sometime on Thursday afternoon our time. Yesterday flash floods in the Brisbane valley hit a couple of towns and more than 70 people are missing. Thankfully we think we are all ok in terms of our houses being in areas that will be clear of flood waters, though Sarah lives only 3 blocks from the River so she needs to keep an eye out. It looks like her street was ok last time. They say some services will be disrupted, so we went to the supermarket this afternoon and almost nothing was left. Lines to the checkout went to the back of the store......i thought it would save time if i went and got the car filled up and went to the bottle shop....
David
#4 Son

Post by David »

i found the two flood maps for 1974 and 2011 for comparison.

on the color map Hendra is in the center near the race track and on the B&W it is near the top by Breakfast Creek.

Keep us posted Russ.
Attachments
Brisbane 2011 Flood Prediciton Map
Brisbane 2011 Flood Prediciton Map
1974 Limit
1974 Limit
rusty

Post by rusty »

The flood peaked this morning at 4.45m, about a meter lower than was feared. Sarah had to move out of her place at New Farm and is at our place now, the power is out to her area, hopefully the house will stay dry. They reckon about 17000 properties affected by flooding but no fatalities or injuries in Brisbane yet. A lot of boats and pontoons have been washed out to sea. Where we are its like nothing happened and the sky is blue. All good.