Riviera Maya

Where are my people at?

Jon

Riviera Maya

Post by Jon »

Here are a few pictures of the trip to Mexico. A great time hanging out by the pool, on the patio and eating fish tacos. Mega kept us well stocked with the local cheese, salsa, maragarita makings and broiler chicken. Made a great trip to the Texan's palapa by the beach at Casa Cenote. Not much has changed since the folks were there 20+ years ago except the roads are better. Spent one day at the botanical garden up the road. Very cool insect life. We watched army ants streaming across the path. Got some nice video of them until I realized they were starting up my legs.

Looking forward to the next trip already.
Attachments
The Texan's Palapa
The Texan's Palapa
Pool time
Pool time
Garden of Eden
Garden of Eden
Spikey Trunk Palm
Spikey Trunk Palm
Cool Butterflies
Cool Butterflies
Purple Chrysomelid
Purple Chrysomelid
Stink Bug
Stink Bug
Tortuga Tracks in the morning
Tortuga Tracks in the morning
Tarantula
Tarantula
Millipedes
Millipedes
rusty

Re: Riviera Maya

Post by rusty »

Looks like you were buggin' out! I hope you managed to get that Tarantula back to Indiana, if you put it in your roof if could keep the squirrels in check! Seriously, looks like a great trip. Who's Mega? it sounds like you had someone looking after you pretty well.
Michael
#6 Son

Post by Michael »

Nice bug shots. Must have a pretty nice macro feature on your camera.
MM \m/ike MM
Random Wikipedia Link

Grampa & Gramma

Post by Grampa & Gramma »

Here's some pics of our Cancun visit. By the way, Mega is a big Super Walmart-type store down the road in Playa del Carmen.
Attachments
Our rooms were on the top floor, looking out over a "lake" and flamingos.
Our rooms were on the top floor, looking out over a "lake" and flamingos.
This is one of the larger pools.  Our condo is in the building in the right background.
This is one of the larger pools. Our condo is in the building in the right background.
Judy did her exercises in this pool in which the watter flowed from the huge main pool by the beach to the pool in the last pic.  Ideal, never anyone there!
Judy did her exercises in this pool in which the watter flowed from the huge main pool by the beach to the pool in the last pic. Ideal, never anyone there!
After the swim, time to relax.
After the swim, time to relax.
After a swim, a bath!
After a swim, a bath!
I played their par three course - very challanging!  I put three balls in the water here, drove one into the bushes back of the green, then went up and dropped a ball in front of the green and was on in 9!
I played their par three course - very challanging! I put three balls in the water here, drove one into the bushes back of the green, then went up and dropped a ball in front of the green and was on in 9!
Jon and Carrie getting in to snorkel by the outlet of the cenote at Casa Cenote.  Great to be there again after 20 years!  You can see the second longest barrier reef in the world in the background.
Jon and Carrie getting in to snorkel by the outlet of the cenote at Casa Cenote. Great to be there again after 20 years! You can see the second longest barrier reef in the world in the background.
Ruins of a Mayan "altar" at the Botanical Gardens.
Ruins of a Mayan "altar" at the Botanical Gardens.
Tree snake at the Gardens
Tree snake at the Gardens
Lots of these small lizards where we stayed.  This guy would be about 20 to 24 inches.
Lots of these small lizards where we stayed. This guy would be about 20 to 24 inches.
This old guy was over 3 feet long.
This old guy was over 3 feet long.
A butterfly for Jon.
A butterfly for Jon.
Russ, we had our own version of your bush turkeys!
Russ, we had our own version of your bush turkeys!
This is the turtle beach.  On the left is one of the main resturants where we celebrated our 55th..
This is the turtle beach. On the left is one of the main resturants where we celebrated our 55th..
A marked nest.  When the little ones emerge they get them into a styrofoam cooler and release then after dark.
A marked nest. When the little ones emerge they get them into a styrofoam cooler and release then after dark.
Releasing little ones.
Releasing little ones.
I would hope these eggs were dug up for incubation purposes.  There are turtle keepers on the beach every night protecting them so it is likely that is the case.
I would hope these eggs were dug up for incubation purposes. There are turtle keepers on the beach every night protecting them so it is likely that is the case.
Russ & Judy