2012 Canoe Trip Report

Camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, skiing, skateboarding, surfing, etc...
Jon

2012 Canoe Trip Report

Post by Jon »

We had a great canoe trip to Ontario a couple of weeks ago. Chris and Ada flew into Indy and we car pooled up. Chris and Ada joined the trip in Indy and Jason joined in Chicago. We stopped and had lunch with Jean and Jack in Janesville and got a pretty strong committment from Jack that he would join the 2013 expedition.

We camped at Caliper Lake and had no neighbors in the campground which was great. Pat and Dave made us a great burger dinner and the next day we fished and brought home enough fish for a fish fry.

We made a two day trip in Kakagi (Crow) lake and ended up with a really sweet camp spot towards the eastern end. We caught enough bass to keep us fed and Jason landed a nice Northern. Ada had the hot lure for bass and even swam for it rather than risk losing it when it became snagged.

We ended the trip with more outings on Lake of the Wooks and continued to bring home fish for the frying pan. Dave and Pat were great hosts feeding us, keeping the beer cold and trolling us back and forth over walleye hotspots.

There is already some discussion about the 2013 trip. We are hoping to make it happen sometime around the end of August or first part of September. If there are any significant conflicts and you want to go let us know as soon as you can.
Attachments
The Crow Lake Expedition Members 2012
The Crow Lake Expedition Members 2012
The camp fire burning down on our island camp in Crow Lake
The camp fire burning down on our island camp in Crow Lake
This was the view from our camp on Crow
This was the view from our camp on Crow
Ada purifying water at camp
Ada purifying water at camp
This is a panorama of the opposite side of our island. Carrie and I leaving camp for fishing.
This is a panorama of the opposite side of our island. Carrie and I leaving camp for fishing.
This one we'll call Canadian Gothic for obvious reasons. Chris and Ada were good providers.
This one we'll call Canadian Gothic for obvious reasons. Chris and Ada were good providers.
The fisherman in camp.
The fisherman in camp.
Jason paddled with Steven and Andy and made good time in their 3-boat. This was the last day just as we left the lunch spot. Water was really nice for swimming this year and we spent a lot of time cooling off, jumping from the rocks and enjoying the clear water of the lake
Jason paddled with Steven and Andy and made good time in their 3-boat. This was the last day just as we left the lunch spot. Water was really nice for swimming this year and we spent a lot of time cooling off, jumping from the rocks and enjoying the clear water of the lake
Jason with a representative walleye from Lake of the Woods.
Jason with a representative walleye from Lake of the Woods.
Thanks again to Dave and Pat for allowing us the use of their paddle and motor boats and for showing us a great time again this year. Dave, this is a picture of you that I snapped as we watched Jason retrieve his lure from the rock pile near your dock.
Thanks again to Dave and Pat for allowing us the use of their paddle and motor boats and for showing us a great time again this year. Dave, this is a picture of you that I snapped as we watched Jason retrieve his lure from the rock pile near your dock.
This picture was sent in anonymously but the second night out on Crow we got some rain and it made the rocks and lichens very slick! Not as impressive as Dave's bruise from last year.
This picture was sent in anonymously but the second night out on Crow we got some rain and it made the rocks and lichens very slick! Not as impressive as Dave's bruise from last year.
Jason
#5 Son

Re: 2012 Canoe Trip Report

Post by Jason »

Thanks Jon and Carrie for making so many of the arrangements, the trip was a blast.
Attachments
Chris spotted this fish surfacing in front of our canoe.  One cast of the Bucktail(Kaisers Mustache)and it was on.
Chris spotted this fish surfacing in front of our canoe. One cast of the Bucktail(Kaisers Mustache)and it was on.
One of the many fish fry-ups.  This one happened to be the last.  Bass and Pancakes Breakfast Caliper Lake.
One of the many fish fry-ups. This one happened to be the last. Bass and Pancakes Breakfast Caliper Lake.
The camp on Crow Lake was pretty sweet.
The camp on Crow Lake was pretty sweet.
Crow Lake Camp Life.jpg
Cannonball!
Cannonball!
Andy Conjuring S'mores
Andy Conjuring S'mores
Chris
#2 Son

Post by Chris »

It was a great trip, and thanks to all for the experiences. Jon, you know that wet lichen wants revenge, so you have to be careful. Nice new Icon picture Jason! Can you email me that picture of Andy toasting a marshmellow (at its highest resolution)? Great picture and I want to print it for my office wall.

?2013?-- a) Height of Land the hard way? b) East of Shistose there be clams. c) Kenora and Nestor Falls realy aren't so far from each other, are they Gandalf?

Get your charts out and weigh in.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thanks for posting your pics guys. Jason, I'd love a high res file of Andy at the fire too. Thanks!
Attachments
Good trip
Good trip
andy sleeping in the truck.jpg (88.3 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
Michael
#6 Son

Post by Michael »

Get the feather!

There are a lot of logging roads out there. You could really get around using them to portage and maybe one of these....

http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productc ... ategory=77
MM \m/ike MM
Random Wikipedia Link

Jon

Post by Jon »

If you get a set for each end you could ride in the canoe over the down hill sections.