Hawaii

Where are my people at?

Grampa & Gramma

Hawaii

Post by Grampa & Gramma »

We had a great trip to Hawaii. We stayed in Kona on the Big Island with our friends from Spokane, John and Liz Hite, for the first week, then moved to a time share unit a few miles farther south for the second week. We visited Frank Truesdell at the volcano, went to several beaches, took a whale-watching trip, and ate and drank well! It was a fun trip in a fun place, and nice to be with friends. I'll post a few pictures now and when John sends me his I'll post a couple more.
Dad
Attachments
We celebrated Mom's birthday in grand stile with salad, fishermans pot, good wine, and hot fudge sundays!
We celebrated Mom's birthday in grand stile with salad, fishermans pot, good wine, and hot fudge sundays!
Hawaii 05 035.jpg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 3291 times
This beach was great.  There was a nice sandy beach leading to a big pool behind some lava "reefs", between which were pools full of coral and fish.  Good snorkeling.
This beach was great. There was a nice sandy beach leading to a big pool behind some lava "reefs", between which were pools full of coral and fish. Good snorkeling.
Hawaii 05 053.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 3291 times
It was interesting to drive through the lava flows to get to the beach.
It was interesting to drive through the lava flows to get to the beach.
Hawaii 05 052.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 3291 times
Our whale trip was great.  Here is Mrs. Humpback on her back with her fins in the air.  She's being courted by 2 or 3 males, and by diong this she's telling them that she has a headache!  She would roll and slap her fins on the water.  The males would cru
Our whale trip was great. Here is Mrs. Humpback on her back with her fins in the air. She's being courted by 2 or 3 males, and by diong this she's telling them that she has a headache! She would roll and slap her fins on the water. The males would cru
Hawaii 05 039.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 3291 times
Here's the lava gioing into the sea.  It started up again just the day before we planned to go see Frank and the Volcano Park.
Here's the lava gioing into the sea. It started up again just the day before we planned to go see Frank and the Volcano Park.
Hawaii 05 014.jpg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 3291 times
We walked out to where the recent lava flows were going into the sea.  On the way we saw how the lava covered the road.
We walked out to where the recent lava flows were going into the sea. On the way we saw how the lava covered the road.
Hawaii 05 010.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 3291 times
We had dinner with Frank and Zoey at their house in Volcano after touring the Park.  Frank hasn't changed at all - still an easy guy to be with and loving his work.
We had dinner with Frank and Zoey at their house in Volcano after touring the Park. Frank hasn't changed at all - still an easy guy to be with and loving his work.
Hawaii 05 022.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 3291 times
Russ & Judy
Grampa & Gramma

Frank in Hawaii

Post by Grampa & Gramma »

Here are a couple more pictures of Frank. In my comments above about Mrs. Whale, I meant to say that the males just cruise around the female waiting for her mood to change, which it didn't in the two hours we were watching, which is probably understandable!
Attachments
Frank reminded us that he spent Thanksgiving with us in 1978 and we bundled up to go out and make a snowman, but we made a stegasaurus instead!  I think one of the other guys is Ben Richards, but who is the other one?
Frank reminded us that he spent Thanksgiving with us in 1978 and we bundled up to go out and make a snowman, but we made a stegasaurus instead! I think one of the other guys is Ben Richards, but who is the other one?
Frank Thgvng 78.jpg (1019.66 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
This is what Frank's main job is, mapping the activity of Mauna Loa to reconstruct its history, in order to predict future behavior for reasons of safety and planning.  He is trying to predict where faults and flows may occur.  He has also done some simil
This is what Frank's main job is, mapping the activity of Mauna Loa to reconstruct its history, in order to predict future behavior for reasons of safety and planning. He is trying to predict where faults and flows may occur. He has also done some simil
IMG_0016.jpg (653.44 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
Russ & Judy
Chris
#2 Son

mystery guy

Post by Chris »

The guy in between Jon and Ben Richards is Pat Strand, another Kappa Sig, from my pledge cohort. Nice stegosaur!