Ningaloo Trip

Camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, skiing, skateboarding, surfing, etc...
rusty

Ningaloo Trip

Post by rusty »

We have been meaning to get these pictures of our July shcool holiday trip on the web for a while. Finally getting there!

We went up to Ningaloo reef, about 1200 KM north of here and Emma came over for the trip for a couple of weeks. Actually we took about 10 days for the trip, 4 up and 2 back, not much time left at Ningaloo!
It was a great trip and we saw a lot of desert country the like of which we haven't seen before.

Ningaloo Reef itself is a 250 km stretch of fringing reef that is part of a marine park. It has just been enlarged and had more areas protected. It looks like I will also be doing a fair bit of work up there.

We really wished we had had more time to spend up there, it was a great trip.
Attachments
So we finally made it to Ningaloo, this is the view from the lighthouse at Northwest Cape, the reef in the background to the west.  to the east is the US submarine ultra low frequency communication facility.  It has a bunch of towers there, one of which i
So we finally made it to Ningaloo, this is the view from the lighthouse at Northwest Cape, the reef in the background to the west. to the east is the US submarine ultra low frequency communication facility. It has a bunch of towers there, one of which i
ningaloo roadside.jpg (537.46 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
North of Quobba is a place called Red Bluff which is one of the worlds top surf spots.  I have wanted to surf there for about 20 years, and we managed to do that so I was pretty stoked.  Got some smoking barrels, which I never made it out of but was happy
North of Quobba is a place called Red Bluff which is one of the worlds top surf spots. I have wanted to surf there for about 20 years, and we managed to do that so I was pretty stoked. Got some smoking barrels, which I never made it out of but was happy
girls&marg at red bluff sml.JPG (29.22 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
The next day we got to a place called Quobba station.  It is a sheep station but now has a lot of people passing thru so subsists a lot on camping fees.  There is good surfing and fishing from the coast there.  The station itself is  the campground and al
The next day we got to a place called Quobba station. It is a sheep station but now has a lot of people passing thru so subsists a lot on camping fees. There is good surfing and fishing from the coast there. The station itself is the campground and al
quobba camp.JPG (147.23 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
I was going to get the girls to try some noodling, but I had noticed from previous posts that, as with dogs and their owners, noodlers and their prey begin to resemble each other far too closely.  So I decided against it.
I was going to get the girls to try some noodling, but I had noticed from previous posts that, as with dogs and their owners, noodlers and their prey begin to resemble each other far too closely. So I decided against it.
katie and emma fishing at shark bay.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
We tried the fishin but didn't have any luck.
We tried the fishin but didn't have any luck.
russ at shark bay.jpg (12.85 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
We took two days to get up to shark bay, where we found this place to camp (the goal was to avoid paying camping fees) by the shore.  Very deserted and fortunately no westerly wind.
We took two days to get up to shark bay, where we found this place to camp (the goal was to avoid paying camping fees) by the shore. Very deserted and fortunately no westerly wind.
r&m at shark bay camp.JPG (188.99 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
rusty

Ningaloo II

Post by rusty »

The trip continued.....
too much to get into one post, especially on dial up.

As I was saying, the tower is taller than the empire state bldg
Attachments
Emma got the best fish, we had a sashimi gorge-out
Emma got the best fish, we had a sashimi gorge-out
emma holding fish2.jpg (58.01 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
A combination of salt, sweat and water so hard there were stalagtites in the toilet bowl made it a hair raising experience.  Nice to get that spiked look without expensive products.
A combination of salt, sweat and water so hard there were stalagtites in the toilet bowl made it a hair raising experience. Nice to get that spiked look without expensive products.
russ and margie last day at tatnabiddi sml.jpg (19.08 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
There were some really cool anthills around the place
There were some really cool anthills around the place
anthill at exmouth sml.jpg (18.8 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
WE had a couple of nice days on the boat, one in particular was good and we say heaps of whales, dolphins turtles, mantas and sharks.
WE had a couple of nice days on the boat, one in particular was good and we say heaps of whales, dolphins turtles, mantas and sharks.
katie and emma on boat 2 sml.JPG (55.23 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
WE got a few of these barracuda on th first day, only kept two for eating. Surprisingly good!  We let a lot go, even had a triple hook up which was pretty exciting
WE got a few of these barracuda on th first day, only kept two for eating. Surprisingly good! We let a lot go, even had a triple hook up which was pretty exciting
katie and emmas barracudae.JPG (14.35 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
the weather got windy and rainy for a couple of days so we did some hiking.  This is Yardie Ck gorge, which is actually a salt water inlet
the weather got windy and rainy for a couple of days so we did some hiking. This is Yardie Ck gorge, which is actually a salt water inlet
katie and emma at yardie ck gorge sml.jpg (15.24 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
emmy

Post by emmy »

yeah it was a great trip my mouth still waters when i think of that fish!
eppm
Michael
#6 Son

Post by Michael »

that look like great fun, I'm totally saving money so I can come visit when I'm done with my post doc.

BTW did you see any flying manta rays?
MM \m/ike MM
Random Wikipedia Link