Pityriasis Rosea

From computers to Clovis
Michael
#6 Son

Pityriasis Rosea

Post by Michael »

Anybody had this.

I broke out with a case of it a couple weeks ago. It was pretty freaky until my dermatolagist told me what it was. It is pretty benign... I just have to deal with spots for 6-8 weeks.

Background

Pityriasis rosea (PR) is an acute and characteristic exanthem that has been described for more than 2 centuries. Initially, a primary plaque, called a herald patch, is seen. The herald patch is followed by a distinctive, generalized rash 1-2 weeks later. The rash lasts approximately 2-6 weeks.

Pathophysiology

The primary plaque is seen on the skin in 50-90% of cases a week or more before the onset of the eruption of smaller lesions. This secondary eruption occurs 2-21 days later in crops following the lines of cleavage of the skin. On the back, this eruption produces a "Christmas tree" pattern.

Frequency

United States

The overall prevalence of PR has been calculated to be 0.13% in men and 0.14% in women. The prevalence reported at dermatologic centers has been between 0.3 and 3%.

International

An increase in the prevalence of PR has been reported in Uganda. No change in the prevalence of PR has been reported in Sweden. It has also been seen in the United Kingdom, Nigeria, Sudan, Brazil, Lagos, Singapore, Turkey, Kuwait, and Hong Kong.
:AGG:
MM \m/ike MM
Random Wikipedia Link

Chris
#2 Son

Re: Pityriasis Rosea

Post by Chris »

That's going to make you inconspicuous in the nocturnal leafy undergrowth, leaving the hapless prey species unaware of your cunning presence (but keep in mind, you would of course have to be naked, and that's probably not such a good idea in your neighborhood). Get well soon.
Grampa & Gramma

Post by Grampa & Gramma »

Just before we went to Mexico for two weeks Mom wasn't feeling well and got up from the toilet after sitting there for a while and fainted, hitting her face on something. What hurt most was the way she looked the next day! She wore her glasses and it didn't cause too much alarm in the people around us. Oh, maybe some!
A week after we were home there was no more showing.
Attachments
Day after!
Day after!
Day three!
Day three!
Day 5
Day 5
Day 10
Day 10
Two weeks!
Two weeks!
Russ & Judy
Michael
#6 Son

Post by Michael »

GNNNARLY! Glad to see the recovery sequence. The spots are clearing up nicely.
MM \m/ike MM
Random Wikipedia Link

rusty

Post by rusty »

Wow, pretty hard to decide who wins in the medical conditions stakes here! I think I have to give it Mom, glad you didn't lose any teeth in that one!